When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Morning Update

Wow! I have a lot to fill you in on. Yesterday was a busy day. We are working really hard on our math contracts, vocabulary and daily oral language. We also did a fun cursive activity on whiteboards. I am expecting that we will be working more often on our cursive as a review. My favorite part of the day was our discussion about STARGIRL, our current read aloud by Jerry Spinelli. We examined Stargirl's actions and did a cause and effect activity with them--for example, we talked about why was Stargirl so fearless, and what the results of her actions were. I kept remarking to the kids that I felt like I was leading an advanced high school level reading course. Per the students' advice, I took a picture of the notes we took on the whiteboard as "memento" of such a mature, in depth discussion.

For our next writing project, we are working on putting together a student handbook for Footprints Academy students. We have been inspired by Stargirl to welcome all students and do what we can to make everyone feel a part of the Footprints community. Look for more updates on the handbook soon!

I have posted pictures of the Empty Bowls pottery painting experience. I haven't labeled them yet, but here is the link to those pictures. I can't wait to get our finished bowls back this week.

This morning the kids will be attending the official Science Fair kickoff assembly. They will be getting their science fair handbooks--all information necessary for how to complete an experiment is included in the handbook. If you have any questions, feel free to email me, or give me a call. The Science Fair is February 24, 2009.

Remember that book projects are due December 19th. Our last book club for contemporary fiction books will be Tuesday, December 16th. Our next unit will be a short poetry study.

No comments: